For a consultation, call (760) 216-4941. You’ll speak with me directly.
Here are a few initial things about me. I am:
- the only attorney in San Diego trained in DUI blood testing (alcohol and drugs) by the American Chemical Society. I have earned the Lawyer-Scientist designation as recognized by the Chemistry and the Law Section of the American Chemical Society.
- qualified to train police on DUI field sobriety tests and investigation.
- a teacher with the Gerry Spence’s Trial Lawyers College.
- a published author in DUI law and science. My publications include “Inside the Minds: Strategies for Defending DUI Cases in California” 2013 and 2015 editions; California Drunk Driving Defense, 2011 and 2013 supplements; and my blog about science, trial techniques, and Court procedure.
I am also trained on breath machines, including the Intoxilyzer 8000, used by San Diego police. I am trained to train police in DUI Field Sobriety Tests and the science and origin of these tests.
The following is just from one client. Although I have a page for other testimonials, and print each one verbatim.
You can also see a list of my recent successes here.
Thomas Jefferson School of Law, Juris Doctor
Northern Illinois University, BA in Music Education
Inside the Minds: Strategies for Defending DUI Cases in California, 2013 and 2015 editions
California Drunk Driving Defense, 2011 and 2013 supplements
#crimpro, my monthly column about California criminal procedure in the North County Bar Association monthly magazine
#DUIdata, my blog about DUI science, trial techniques, and criminal procedure
Trainings & Certifications:
Graduated Gerry Spence’s 3-week Trial Lawyers College, July 2013
Trained in DUI blood testing (headspace gas chromatography) by the American Chemical Society
Trained in DUI breath testing (infrared breath testing)
Qualified to train police on DUI field sobriety tests and investigation
Intoxilyzer 8000 Operator’s Course, 2012
Forensic Chromatography III: Theory and Practice; Axion Labs/American Chemical Society, 2011
DataMaster DMT and Basic Science of Evidential Breath Alcohol Testing, 2011
Mastering Scientific Evidence in DWI/DUI Cases, 2011, 2012
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and International Chief of Police (IACP) DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Student Course, 2010
NHTSA and IACP DWI Detection and Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor Course, 2010
Drug Evaluation and Classification Program: The Drug Recognition Expert Process, 2010
Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College: Voir Dire Regional, October 2012
Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College: Closing Arguments Regional, May 2013
“Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus: Evaluating the Evaluation”; American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, 2012
“Understanding and Attacking DUI Field Sobriety Tests”; San Diego County Public Law Library, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
“Understanding and Attacking DUI Field Sobriety Tests”; San Diego, North County Bar Association, 2012
“Foundations of California DUI Laws”; Thomas Jefferson School of Law, 2012
I am admitted to practice law in the State of California and the Southern District of the United States District Court of California. In addition, I am actively involved in:
DUI Defense Lawyers Association (founding member)
American Bar Association: Taxation; Real Property, Trust and Estate Law divisions
– Board Member (2012 – 2016)
– Photography Co-Chair (2011-2013)
– Champagne & Chocolates Affair Co-Chair (2012)
– New Lawyers Division Board of Directors, Community Service Chair (2012)
– New Lawyers Division Board of Directors, Newsletter Chair (2011)
Thomas Jefferson School of Law, Alumni Association (2009 – 2014)
– President (2013-2014)
– Vice President (2011-2013)
Awards & Achievements:
Thomas Jefferson School of Law Adjunct Professor of the Year
Thomas Jefferson School of Law A. Thomas Golden Honorary Alumnus of the Year, 2015
SD Metro Magazine’s Best Lawyers in San Diego, DUI/DWI, 2012
San Diego’s Top 40 Under 40 by San Diego Metro, 2011
San Diego County Bar Association Outstanding Service by a New Lawyer, 2011
***This page and this entire website may be seen as a solicitation. Although I try to simply make them informative, please understand it may be seen as a legal communication, and a solicitation at that.